Frequently Asked Questions
- In which subjects do you offer tutoring?
- What grades do you tutor?
- What is the difference between Specialized Tutors and Comprehensive Tutors?
- Where do I meet the tutor?
- How long are sessions?
- How do I sign up for tutoring?
- What if the tutor isn't a good fit?
- What if I don't like something the tutor is doing/not doing?
- How do I know what the qualifications of my tutor are?
- May I sit in on the tutoring session?
- What is the price of a session?
- How is tutoring billed?
- May I pay the tutor directly?
- What methods of payment do you accept?
- What if I need to cancel a scheduled session?
- What are Rice Tutors policies?
- How can I contact Rice Tutors?
- In which subjects do you offer tutoring? Top ^
We tutor all core subjects (math, science, English, & history), foreign languages, and test preparation for elementary school, middle school, high school, and college. See Subjects Covered for a detailed list. We also offer end of semester exam review sessions, as well as summer courses on popular topics.
- What grades do you tutor? Top ^
We tutor kindergarten through college level students.
- What is the difference between Specialized Tutors and Comprehensive Tutors? Top ^
Rice Tutors offers two types of tutors: Specialized Tutors & Comprehensive Tutors.
Specialized Tutors have strengths in specific subject areas, such as mathematics or English. These tutors are best suited for students needing help in only one subject.
Comprehensive Tutors are capable of tutoring all core subjects: math, science, English, history, and a foreign language. This type of tutor is best suited for students who need help in multiple subjects. When the tutor arrives at your house, s/he will be able to help you with whatever subject you need to study for that day.
- Where do I meet the tutor? Top ^
At your home! Rice Tutors makes getting help convenient. We send your tutor to your home. See our zip code list for addresses within our service area. If you don’t live within our service area or you prefer to meet somewhere other than your home, you also have the option of meeting the tutor at a public location within our service area.
- How long are sessions? Top ^
There is not a set length of time for a session; however, we have a one-hour minimum policy. If the tutor is asked to stay less than an hour, the session will count as one hour. Sessions lasting longer than one hour are rounded to the nearest fifteen minutes. The standard session lasts one hour, though students often prefer more time. On average, sessions last between one and two hours.
- How do I sign up for tutoring? Top ^
Please fill out the Tutor Request Form. Once we have reviewed your information, we will contact you to set up your first session with a tutor.
- What if the tutor isn’t a good fit? Top ^
Parents and students are normally thrilled with their tutors. However, if for any reason you are not satisfied with your tutor, please contact the office ASAP and we will match you with a new one.
- What if I don't like something the tutor is doing/not doing? Top ^
Usually such concerns can be directly addressed with the tutor. If you would prefer, you may always contact the office and let us know of your concerns. We will then speak to the tutor and resolve the matter for you.
- How do I know what the qualifications of my tutor are? Top ^
Please read about Our Tutors. Once you have been assigned a tutor, you will be provided with specific information about your tutor, including his/her educational background and teaching/tutoring experience. If you have more questions, please contact the office, and we will be happy to provide more detailed information.
- May I sit in on the tutoring session? Top ^
Yes, parents may sit in on a tutoring session, though Rice Tutors does not recommend this practice. People who are observed, adolescents in particular, tend to feel self-conscious; therefore, direct observation usually results in a distracted student and, consequently, a less productive session overall. If you wish to observe a session, we recommend that you remain in an adjacent room out of the student’s view.
- What is the price of a session? Top ^
That depends on the type of tutor assigned to you. We have two levels of tutors, and thus two rates. Please see Pricing for specifics.
- How is tutoring billed? Top ^
After matching a tutor with a student, we collect credit card information to keep on file. On the first and fifteenth of every month, the current balance is charged to the credit card on file and a payment confirmation is emailed with a paid invoice attached. If our services are not used, there is no charge. Please see Payment Policies for details.
- May I pay the tutor directly? Top ^
No. Tutors do not handle payments. The office processes all payments. Please see Payment Policies for details.
- What methods of payment do you accept? Top ^
We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Please see Payment Policies for more information on making payments.
- What if I need to cancel a scheduled session? Top ^
If you need to cancel a session, please call the tutor directly at least 24 hours before the scheduled session. Your tutor’s contact information can be found in the confirmation email sent upon sign up. For missed or late cancellations, the regular lesson fee applies. We understand that sometimes unexpected events occur; as a courtesy, Rice Tutors discounts the first cancellation made less than 24 hours in advance to half the normal fee. Please see Payment Policies for more information on our policies.
- What are Rice Tutors' policies? Top ^
We have a one-hour minimum policy, as well as a 24-hour cancellation policy. Please see Payment Policies for more details.
- How do I contact Rice Tutors? Top ^
We look forward to hearing from you! Please see Contact Us.